13 April 2010

Finding the Right Fit...

Happy Tuesday morning to those of you east of that invisible boundary called the International Dateline. 

Not much to report on from this end, but felt like saying hey and rattling off a few syllables before I split for the night.  It's a rainy Tuesday evening here in Perth.  I just got back from viewing an apartment.  Fully furnished minus a few towels and an extra pair of sheets.  Nice place but it's located just about a block or two from a shady part of town.  I've got a few more viewings tomorrow, so I'll see how they compare.

Still adjusting to the everyday odds and ends that I took for granted just a week or two ago: where to put my keys when I get home, what mode of transportation I'll take to get to work based on the weather (foot or bike), whether I order lunch at the counter or at the table, etc.  Adjusting at work still as well: timesheets, how to tackle assignments, who's who.  After only a few days, I suppose I wouldn't expect anything else.  But, after being in Perth for just about a week now, my initial observation is that I'm not sure I fit in very well here. As a comparison, and on purely a superficial level, back in Peru, I really didn't fit in: I was a relatively tall, way pale-faced, funny-talking gringo.  Here in Perth, I'm not so tall, but I'm a way pale-faced, funny-talking Yank. There are several things beneath the surface where I may not fit in all that well too...but those will take awhile longer to confirm one way or another. I guess in the end, it really doesn't matter much, does it?

One of the senior fellas in the office, John, invited us to his apartment this upcoming Sunday to watch the Red Bull Air Race.  It's a coincidence because my good buddy Johnny P gave me a heads up about this race before I even left Seattle.  John's place is located on the shore of the Swan River.  The Swan River is situated along the southern boundary of the city.  The race takes place over the river with the city as a nice background for the cameras.  You may have seen this shindig on TV before...it's basically an obstacle course for sooped-up prop planes.  It looks pretty cool and the weather forecast looks really good.  I'm going to pick up some brews and a tray of eats and stop by for the festivities. 

Well, it's pushing 19:00 here and I'm late for supper. You kids have a groovy Tuesday.  

Scotty

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Before you're outta there, I need a report about each of Aussie's premium beers:
Cascade Premium
Coopers Premium Ale
Crown Lager
Hahn Premium
Hemp Premium
James Squire Range
Matilda Bay Premium
Hahn Vienna Red
Hop Thief
Southwark Premium

Scotty said...

Looks like I'm on a mission...I've hit up the Coopers, Hahn and Squire beers...but not the vintage brews you listed. I've got some work to do...report will be coming!