19 June 2010

Swing it...

About that time to post something new, I suppose.  I hope you guys are doing well in your neck of the woods.  Can't complain here.  Food, water, shelter...all the bases covered.  Just got done skyping my sister Kim.  Had a heck of a laugh goofing around with the smiley faces you can send back and forth. Spontaneously busted a gut and laughed for a good minute non-stop.  Felt good!  Ahh...the simple things in life.

Probably made the best discovery in my first two months that I've been here this past week.  I got wind of a young adult group from the Perth area that meets at Sacred Heart monastery, which is right next to the church I go to.  Wednesday evenings...Mass, exposition, holy hour, benediction, and then dinny afterwards.  I got to inhale that sweet smell of incense for the first time in two months!  That hit the spot.  A group of about 25 or so showed up.  One guy from France just cruising around Australia stopped in and a girl from Belgium found out about the group too.  Nice people with warm welcomes and good conversations.  I was probably one of the older fogies in the group.  Mostly everyone seemed to be in their 20s...a few in their 30s, so I wasn't totally alone.  A couple people who asked how old I was said they thought I was 26...so at least I got that going for me.  I guess all them years of hard livin...the boozin, gallivanting with loose women and rock and roll...haven't caught up with me yet!  Super glad to have met up with these guys...sort of rekindled the Wednesday night routine that I left behind in Seattle.  The five-day work week just got much better.

Don't know what it was, but some situation this past week or so got me thinking about 90s music.  I've been playing this Sponge song in my head and on the music box recently.  A good throw back tune...didn't care for it too much then...probably because everyone and their brother liked it....but now that it's old and mostly forgotten...not so bad now:



Another thing that happened was a highly intellectual conversation a few of us had in the office the other day.  Fancy technical phrases like geological model, time-rate of settlement and paleo-channel resonated off the Wheatstone war-room walls at 6:30 pm on a Friday evening.  At that time of day, it got to the point where I couldn't think of anything else better to sum up what I was thinking than this:



Man, I love those guys.

That just about does it for now.  23:00 and Scotty's dishes are done. Time to saw some logs.  Don't forget..."I" before "E" except after "C"...most times...

Peace and love,

Scotty

No comments: